Churches and Chapels

St Andrew's Church is in the Parish
of St Dogmaels, where the ruins of the Abbey can be found.

The church was described in 1291 as "Ecclesia de Grava Matilda"   Since then records show that it has been rebuilt several times. The current church was built in 1866 and contains a stone bearing the date 1619 in the west wall.

In the bell tower is an ancient font from the old church, retrieved from a nearby farm.



 

Also in the parish of St Dogmaels is the nearby church at Monington dedicated to St. Nicholas. 

The Welsh name for the church is "Eglwys Wythwr" which means "Church of eight men", for there were about eight households in the parish of Monington.

The church which was rebuilt in 1860 for £100. R.J.Withers of London was the architect, who also designed St. Andrew's church. It was described by CADW as a "a well designed small church in severe high Victorian Gothic manner"

There are well preserved murals of angels on the interior walls. As there is no electricity at the church, lighting is by paraffin wall lamps.


The inscription on the gable wall of Bethel Chapel translates to " Place of Worship for the Independents established in 1691"

Early Independent congregations were small and did not need large buildings, they met in farmhouses and occasionally sheltered coves. The farmhouse would have been the home of a firm believer, the cove would have been central for the followers.

Bethel Vestry was built on the site of the White Lion Inn and was opened in 1932.


Tabernacle is a Baptist Chapel built in 1894. 

Prior to this meetings were held at Rhyd-y-grove from 1878. The Baptists then rented a thatched cottage on the site of the present building. Ivor Evans paid an extortionate £130 for this cottage on behalf of the Baptists.

The nearby Nant Awen was used for the first Baptism in 1887.

The Baptistry is now within the grounds of the Chapel.

                        < Previous Page                                                                                                                                                                Next Page>

 

Return to Home Page